History of Hope Reformed Church
On February 16, 1956, a group of interested families met and prepared a petition to form a Reformed Church of America in Parkersburg.
On April 4, 1956, the planning board voted to purchase the Elmer Thorne property for the actual church site.
On April 22, 1956, the first worship services were held in the local high school gym with 54 in attendance for the morning service and 58 people for the evening services
On October 14, 1956, The Hope Reformed Church was formally organized and the first consistory was elected. There 51 original charter members.
The first Pastor of the new church, Rev. John Vos, was installed on June 7, 1957 and served until January 17, 1965.
The church purchased property north of the church property for a parking lot. On July 13, 1959, construction began on the new church structure. Services was held for the laying of the cornerstone on October 5, 1959. Services were held in the new sanctuary on February 21, 1960.
In September 16, 1964, property north of the church was purchased for a parsonage.
Calvin Hays was ordained and installed as our second Pastor on June 25, 1965, and served until January 30, 1967.
Rev. Melvin Voss was installed as our third Pastor on August 25, 1967 and served until December of 1983.
Construction began on February of 1980 for a new brick ranch-styled parsonage.
Hope celebrated their 25th Anniversary with a special Service on October 11, 1981. The speaker was Rev Charles Stickley of Hurley, New York, a “son” of the church. The church member ship had grown to 97 families.
Rev. Mark Nieuwsma was installed as our fourth pastor on December 5, 1984 and served until June 1991. During this period the church experienced a successful “Lay Witness” week-end at which time the congregation grew in numbers.
Our fifth Pastor, Vance Elzinga, was installed as pastor onJuly 9, 1992 and served until December, 1996.
Neal Ooms became our sixth pastor. He began his ministry with Hope on August 21, 1997 and served until January 18, 2009. During this time the Bethel Bible Series was offered. The congregation participated in several mission trips: Rosebud Indian Reservation SD, Nicaragua, Chicago, Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, and two times to Canton, Missouri. The 50th anniversary of Hope Reformed Church was celebrated in 2005.
Pastor Ron Sikkema served as interim pastor from February, 2009 until June, 2010. During this period Camp Hope was initiated service as a children’s church.
On June 8, 2010, Leighton Seys was called to be our seventh Pastor. Pastor Leighton served until August, 2016. During this time Hope Reformed participated in several mission trips.Several programs were offered to the congregation , a marriage course and the Harvest. An outreach program called Hopes Helping Hands was initiated.
Pastor John White served as our interim pastor from October 2016 to September 2017.
On September 1, 2017. Pastor Nate Huisman became our eighth Pastor.